Monday, October 26, 2009

what try's a charm? artist statement #4

A project always begins with a general sift through the contents of my archive of objects- an ever-evolving collection of everything from photographic images to fabrics, books, paints, beads, ribbons, papers, broken bits of things and everything in between. Sometimes I have an idea in mind and can search through the materials to see if anything fits the idea. Other times it’s the reverse, and the materials that I have on hand inspire the idea and a starting point is created that way. I use what I already have and seek to find what I don’t, and in that way my resources are constantly being altered and added to.

My fascination with creating started out in the form of arts & crafts projects when I was a young child and the interest grew as I did; I’ve been attracted to art in one way or another for as long as I can remember. Growing up, there was always a spot in my house that was dedicated to all the artsy sorts of materials. The “craft closet,” as it was cleverly coined, was a space that I would go to at the onset of boredom to see if I could turn the contents into something fantastic. As I explored these materials I discovered that I could create objects to define my own space- a painting for my room, a bracelet for my wrist.

I’m interested in the ways in which art and objects can define us or our space; what we choose to wear on our bodies, what we decide to display in our homes, and what we create for ourselves or for other people. I’m currently exploring the functionality of jewelry. What it might be, or if it even has one. I am creating pieces that are designed with a specific purpose in mind, not to be only decoration for the body. If jewelry could serve a purpose, what would it be? Is jewelry, by definition, purely ornamental? If these objects become functional, do they cease to be jewelry?

No comments:

Post a Comment