Friday, October 30, 2009

kari byron.

Yup! The Mythbusters chick makes some pretty cool art when she's not blowing stuff up on television. I "bing"ed her the other day for some unrelated reason (I wanted to see who her baby-daddy is because I've always thought her and Grant had a thing for each other...I was wrong) and came across her art website.

One of the most impressive things I found on her sight was the artist statement. Two sentences.

"My work quarantines the world into a more manageable space. The focus is the process, each
piece is a meditation in my desire for a simple understanding of the daily white noise."

How great would it be to say everything you need to say in two sentences?!

I can't figure out how to get the images off the site to put on here. That's probably on purpose. But anyway, she creates a lot of small sculptural pieces using found materials, wood, metal. Little shadow box-looking ones, portraits. Some of them are really great! So check out the site!!

What I like about the work is that it's very personal. And that it serves a purpose for the artist as she uses art as a form of meditation. I'm also interested in the use of found objects.

I was pleasantly surprised to find the site just because I've only ever heard of Byron on television. I like to think that everyone has an artistic side, even if it's not the side that we normally see.

Byron has a BA in film and sculpture from San Francisco State University...but I would never have known that.

Other random note: She was only originally put on the show because they needed a butt model. Nice start.

3 comments:

  1. She's living my dream. (yes, i do want to be a butt model)

    But, I think it would be beyond wonderful to be able to say all that you needed to say in two sentences. I fear that it is not even a possibility with me. I always feel like I am leaving out large gaping holes when I only say two things. (Probably because I am.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree! I can't even articulate my thoughts in a whole page, let alone 2 sentences. Let's pretend it's because we have far too many important things to say.

    And as far as butt-modeling...reach for the stars!

    ReplyDelete
  3. kick.ass.

    god I want to watch a marathon of mythbusters now.

    ReplyDelete