Wednesday, October 7, 2009

"I, I, I..." am not a fan of artist statements*

It started out in the form of arts & crafts projects when I was a young child and the interest grew as I did; I’ve been attracted to art in one way or another for as long as I can remember. I’ve always enjoyed the art classes that I took in school as well as visiting museum and art shows. Eventually I started to make art for myself as well, without needing to be told to do so.

I’ve always been fascinated by jewelry and decoration. Eventually I discovered that I could create my own things to define my personal space- a painting for my room, a bracelet for my wrist. I’m interested in the ways in which art can define us; what we choose to wear on our bodies, what we decide to display in our homes, and what we create for ourselves or for other people.

I have a tendency to pick things up and put them back down on a whim, and bounce from one thing to another rather than having any sort of clear cut goal in mind. For this reason, I like things that can be worked on in stages or on the go- things that can be stashed away in a drawer with the possibility of being unearthed some time later with fresh potential- or things that may be completed over a short period of time so that I might move onto the next. My favorite pieces are probably the ones that can do either.

I’m interested in exploring the possibilities of what is already at hand. Pretty much anything that looks like it was or ever could be something of interest makes its way into an ever-evolving collection of everything from photographic images to fabrics, books, paints, beads, ribbons, pretty papers, plain papers, broken jewelry and anything in between. A project always begins with a general sift through the contents of the archive to see if there is anything that can be used to support whatever it is I’m working on. There usually is- and then I try to figure out the rest from there. I use what I already have and seek to find what I don’t, and in that way my resources are constantly being altered and added to.



The measure of “good” art and aesthetics is subjective so I strive to create work that is general enough to be accessed by others, but specific enough to relate back to myself. As a whole, I view art as a form of expression and individuality. It is not something that can be explained in terms of wrong or right like math or language or science so it becomes particular not only to the person creating it, but also to the people that are interacting with it. The possibilities are infinite because the dynamics are altered with each person that encounters a certain piece of work. Art is something that doesn’t necessarily have boundaries because it doesn’t depend on words to define it, but rather individual experiences and points of view.

2 comments:

  1. "I’m interested in exploring the possibilities of what is already at hand. Pretty much anything that looks like it was or ever could be something of interest makes its way into an ever-evolving collection of everything from photographic images to fabrics, books, paints, beads, ribbons, pretty papers, plain papers, broken jewelry and anything in between. A project always begins with a general sift through the contents of the archive to see if there is anything that can be used to support whatever it is I’m working on. There usually is- and then I try to figure out the rest from there. I use what I already have and seek to find what I don’t, and in that way my resources are constantly being altered and added to."

    This is awesome. I collect all kinds of things. I often wonder why I collect what I collect and what that says about me. But probably the things I collect are very different form the things you collect. I don't have very much jewelery that I own but my mom has boxes full of jewelery she acquired from her marriage. It is all very elaborate and I wonder if it will ever actually be worn because it is so disgustingly ornate.

    Anyway what do you think your objects say about you? Why are you interested in jewelery? Do you want to make things permanent that are inherently bound to disintegrate? What value is there in keeping these objects and things with you? Why are they interesting in and of themselves? Do you find that you can define yourself to some degree by what you collect? Does it scare you that you are sometimes linked to the things that are found outside of you, i.e. clothes, jewelery, hair, your appearance in general?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Miss Faeeza! You've given me a lot to consider...I'm not sure if I have answers to all these questions but I'm going to give it a shot. I need to think about it & I'll get back to you.

    ReplyDelete