Wednesday, November 4, 2009

nel linssen: paper jewelry

Nel Linssen was in the book that Jen was reading in class today (thanks Jen!!). She is a Dutch born artist who creates very intricately designed bracelets and necklaces out of folded paper. What I enjoy most about the work is that it takes something incredibly common place like paper and turns it into something to be admired (not to say that paper itself isn't fantastic but, you know what I mean).

The Scottish Gallery wrote that "the relationship between wearer and viewer is the essence of Linssen's jewelry." This statement really catches my attention because I think that it is a relationship that I haven't figured out yet in relation to both the jewelry that I wear and the jewelry that I would like to make. I also like that the work is made to highlight the body and change appearance with light and movement.

Another writing described her work as "simultaneously minimalist and complex." I'm curious about things that can be two things at once.



Paper & Acrylic Bangles


Long Yellow Necklace





No comments:

Post a Comment