Tuesday, November 17, 2009

everyday junk: tara donovan.

Tara Donovan is a New York-based artist who creates intricate, large-scale, installation sculptures out of everyday materials (styrofoam cups, scotch tape, drinking straws, etc...).


One thing that I find extremely fascinating about Donovan's work is that she chooses her materials before she decides what can be done with them. I think that working in this order, the materials are the most important part of the work because they define the direction that the work will ultimately go in. I'm also attracted to her seemingly meaningless materials- things that you can see everywhere, all the time. I like the idea of something simple and practical morphing into something complex and delicate.


Untitled, Styrofoam Cups & Hot Glue ( 6'x20'x19'2")
"It's not like I'm trying to simulate nature. It's more of a mimicking of the way of nature, the way things
actually grow."
-Tara Donovan

No comments:

Post a Comment