Monday, September 21, 2009

the craft closet.


The craft closet probably started out as a single drawer or maybe a box of some sort...somewhere where all of the "crafty" materials in the house could be kept all together. When I was younger I would investigate the contents of the craft drawer/box when I was bored to see if I could turn them into anything fantastic.

Over the years, the craft drawer/box has morphed into a monster; taking over (and spilling out of an entire closet space in the laundry room of my house. It has also spread into a couple of dressers, a number of shelves and even into a bathtub.

What started out as a small area devoted to glue sticks & glitter, cotton balls & crayons has become an ever evolving collection of everything from photographic images to fabrics, books, paints, beads, ribbon, pretty papers, plain papers, tie-dye kits, broken jewelry and everything in between. Pretty much anything that looks like it ever was or ever could be something of interest makes its way to one of these spaces. Or it sits on my bedroom floor with the intention of one day making it to one of these spaces.

To this day, I always start a project with a general sift through the contents of the closet/dresser/bath tub/bedroom floor to see if there is anything that can be used to support whatever it is I'm working on. There usually is- and then I try to figure out the rest from there. I use what I have already and find what I don't, and in that way the "craft closet" is constantly being altered and added to.

No comments:

Post a Comment