Monday, September 21, 2009

drooping glory.

Drooping Glory

I was first attracted to Sadie Gerbic's work when I saw a piece of hers at Artizann's in Naples, NY. Drooping Glory was a piece that I would have taken home and hung on my wall if I'd had the money at the time. I didn't. But I wrote the name down and took that with me so that I could look at more of her work later.






































Bugman


I'm captivated by Gerbic's use of color. Most pieces show subtle hints of more vibrant hues. For me, the limited use of color makes the ones that are actually there stand out even more. What I loved about Drooping Glory was the contrast. The rich red tone that you would expect to see in the flowers was instead used in the flowerpot and table. The flowers themselves are virtually colorless. The black of the shadows stands out against the sketchy quality of the stems and buds.

Sadie Gerbic is a printmaker and textile & garden designer. She lives in Chicago now, but is originally from the Finger Lakes Region which is probably why I found her work in a local artisan shop. What I like most about her work is it creates an instant reaction for me, even though I'm not entirely sure what that reaction is at first. For me, the fact that I wanted to have that piece for myself almost instantly says a lot.










On top of everything else, she seems a little weird in a very cool way and I like that. I think I'd like to meet her.

No comments:

Post a Comment